When Joe Biden Gives Handshakes and Hugs, He Also Gives Comfort
II. While Reading Activities
- Caught Off Guard: idiom-To surprise someone by doing or saying something unexpected. The phrase to catch someone off guard means to surprise someone in a way he or she was not expecting.
- devastate |ˈdevəˌstāt| verb [with object] • cause (someone) severe and overwhelming shock or grief: she was devastated by the loss of Damian.
- distract |dəˈstrakt| verb [with object] divert one’s attention from something worrying or unpleasant by doing something different or more pleasurable: I tried to distract myself by concentrating on Jane.
- penchant |ˈpen(t)SH(ə)nt| noun -[usually in singular] a strong or habitual liking for something or tendency to do something: he has a penchant for adopting stray dogs.
- affectionate |əˈfekSH(ə)nət| adjective readily feeling or showing fondness or tenderness: a happy and affectionate family. • expressing fondness: an affectionate kiss.
- image|ˈimij| noun-• a visible impression obtained by a camera, telescope, microscope, or other device, or displayed on a computer or video screen.
- objectify |əbˈjektəˌfī| verb (objectifies, objectifying, objectified) [with object] degrade to the status of a mere object: a deeply sexist attitude that objectifies women
- encourage |inˈkərij| verb [with object] give support, confidence, or hope to (someone): we were encouraged by the success of this venture | (as adjective encouraged) : I feel much encouraged.
- sincere |sinˈsir| adjective (sincerer, sincerest) free from pretense or deceit; proceeding from genuine feelings: they offer their sincere thanks to Paul.
- critic |ˈkridik| noun-1 a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something: critics say many schools are not prepared to handle the influx of foreign students.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
I-2-nuts and bolts.
His mother got two nuts and bolts.
Someone had told him about my terrible fear of flying.
It is incredibly important that we differentiate.
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
In the midst of an incredibly tough primary campaign for president, Joe Biden was always aware of those around him and their needs. I saw it throughout the campaign and, quite frankly, sometimes it made me a little crazy.