II. While Reading Tasks
- neophyte |ˈnēəˌfīt|-noun-a person who is new to a subject, skill, or belief: four-day cooking classes are offered to neophytes and experts.
- revere |riˈvi(ə)r|-verb [ with obj. ]-feel deep respect or admiration for (something): Cézanne’s still lifes were revered by his contemporaries.
- curator |ˈkyo͝orˌātər, kyo͝oˈrātər, ˈkyo͝orətər|-noun-a keeper or custodian of a museum or other collection.
- inhibited |inˈhibitid|-adjective-unable to act in a relaxed and natural way because of self-consciousness or mental restraint: I could never appear nude, I’m far too inhibited.
- nuance |ˈn(y)o͞oˌäns|-noun-a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound: the nuances of facial expression and body language.
- sui generis |ˌso͞oˌī ˈjenərəs, ˌso͞oē|– adjective-(Latin)-unique: the sui generis nature of animals.
- flourishing |ˈfləriSHiNG|-adjective-developing rapidly and successfully; thriving: a flourishing career.
- craftsmanship |ˈkraf(t)smənˌSHip|-noun-skill in a particular craft: I admire his engineering skills and craftsmanship.
- authenticate |ôˈTHentiˌkāt|-verb [ with obj. ]-prove or show (something, esp. a claim or an artistic work) to be true or genuine: they were invited to authenticate artifacts from the Italian Renaissance.
- imprimatur |ˌimprəˈmätər, -ˈmātər|-noun-• [ in sing. ] a person’s acceptance or guarantee that something is of a good standard: the original LP enjoyed the imprimatur of the composer.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
True / False
- F- Van Gogh is one of the most beloved artist by the public.
- F- There’s always a van Gogh show on the horizon.
- F- The van Gogh museum is located in Amsterdam.
- T- The name of the The latest major entry is “Becoming van Gogh.
- F- The exhibit is being shown at the at the Denver Art Museum.
- T- Timothy Standring, is the curator who organized the Denver show.
- F-Mr. Standring’s first step was to make a call to Amsterdam.
- T- For Van gogh’s work, people are generally unfamiliar with anything pre-Sunflowers or pre-Wheatfields…
- T- If you look at his early drawings, they’re horrible. So how did he develop?” Mr. Van Tilborgh said, persistence.
- T- Mr. Standring added that he hoped both shows would deepen an understanding of the artist.
Grammar: Structure and Usage
I. The latest major entry is “Becoming van Gogh” at the Denver Art Museum.
II. First, they must come up with a fresh angle on an artist who lived to be only 37.
III. When you plan a van Gogh exhibit, you need to get blessing of the Van Gogh Museum.