Answer key: The Road Less Traveled…Unique College Majors
II. While Reading Tasks
- preeminent |prēˈemənənt| adjective-surpassing all others; very distinguished in some way: the world’s preeminent expert on asbestos.
- distinction |disˈtiNGkSHən| noun-the separation of things or people into different groups according to their attributes or characteristics: these procedures were to be applied to all births, without distinction.
- stand-up (comedy) |ˈstænd ˌəp| adjective -(of comedy) performed standing in front of an audience: his stand-up routine depends on improvised observations.
- improv |ˈimˌpräv| noun informal-improvisation, esp. as a theatrical technique.
- design |dəˈzīn| verb-decide upon the look and functioning of (a building, garment, or other object), typically by making a detailed drawing of it: a number of architectural students were designing a factory.
- Fermentation |ˌfərmənˈtāSHən|-the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat.
- technique |tekˈnēk| noun-skill or ability in a particular field: he has excellent technique | [ in sing. ] : an established athlete with a very good technique.
- entrepreneur |ˌäntrəprəˈno͝or, -ˈnər| noun-a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.
- unique |yo͞oˈnēk| adjective-being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: the situation was unique in modern politics | original and unique designs.
- pioneered |ˌpīəˈnir| verb-develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity): he has pioneered a number of innovative techniques.
- T- Michigan State University pioneered packaging science.
- F-There is a lot of complex engineering involved in planning and designing theme-park rides.
- F- Emerson College wasn’t even the first school to offer a degree in comedy: That distinction goes to Ontario’s Hunter College.
- F- Puppetry has been offered at the University of Connecticut.
- NA-Many of these colleges are expensive.
- T- Fermentation sciences is the study of brewing beer and wine.
- F- Fermentation sciences was first offered by Appalachian State University.
- NA-There’s a program offered on the art of watching television.
- F-A number of U.S. colleges offer a Canadian Studies program.
- T- Indiana’s Vincennes University offers Bowling Industry Management.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
Take a hop across the pond to Liverpool.
In both programs, students learn the art of stand-up comedy.
Students who select this major learn about crafting cool theme park rides.