Lesson Plan: Understanding Transgender People
II. While Reading Tasks
- identify |īˈdentəˌfī| verb (identify with) regard oneself as sharing the same characteristics or thinking as someone else: I liked Fromm and identified with him.
- transgender |tranzˈjendər, trans-|adjective-identified with a gender other than the biological one: a transgender activist and author.
- feminist |ˈfemənist| noun-a person who supports feminism.
- aspects |ˈaspekt| a specific way in which something can be considered: from every aspect, theirs was a changing world.
- innate |iˈnāt| adjective-inborn; natural: her innate capacity for organization.
- typically |ˈtipikəl| adjective-having the distinctive qualities of a particular type of person or thing: a typical day | a typical example of 1930s art deco | typical symptoms.
- stereotypically |ˈsterēəˌtīp, ˈsti(ə)r-| noun-a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing: the stereotype of the woman as the carer | sexual and racial stereotypes.
- encompassing |enˈkəmpəs| verb [ with obj. ] surround and have or hold within: a vast halo encompassing the Milky Way galaxy.
- awkward ward |ˈôkwərd| adjective- not smooth or graceful; ungainly: Luther’s awkward movements impeded his progress | she was long-legged and rather awkward.• uncomfortable or abnormal: make sure the baby isn’t sleeping in an awkward position.
- profound |prəˈfound, prō-| adjective-(of a state, quality, or emotion) very great or intense: profound social changes | profound feelings of disquiet.
- T- The new book Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is about transgender people.
- T- The idea was inspired by the book Our Bodies, Ourselves.
- F- The book Our Bodies, Ourselves was put together by a group of women.
- T- Erickson-Schroth is a founding member of the Gender and Family Network of New York City.
- NA-Many transgender people have surgery.
- F- The book covers all ages, including a chapter about gender-nonconforming children.
- T- Finney Boylan used to be a man.
- NA-Transgender people usually marry other transgender people.
- F- Hormones can affect transgender identities.
- NA-There will be a movie based on this book.
Structure and Usage
I – 1-describing
The new book Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is a collection of essays describing the varied experiences of transgender people.
II – 3-a
She is now a writer-in-residence at Barnard College.
III – 1-covers
The book covers all ages, including a chapter about gender-nonconforming children.