Lesson Plan: Today: Military Ban On Our Transgender Soldiers! Tomorrow: Who Will Be Next?
II. While Reading Activities
- transgender |transˈjendərtranzˈjendər| (also transgendered) adjective-denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity does not correspond with the gender assigned to them at birth.
- integrity |inˈteɡrədē| noun-1 the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness: he is known to be a man of integrity.
- discharge verb |disˈCHärj| [ with obj. ]1 • dismiss or release (someone) from a job, especially from service in the armed forces or police.
- dismay |disˈmā| verb [ with obj. ]-cause (someone) to feel consternation and distress: they were dismayed by the U-turn in policy.
- purge |pərj| verb [ with obj. ] remove (a group of people considered undesirable) from an organization or place in an abrupt or violent manner: he purged all but 26 of the central committee members.
- Traditional |trəˈdiSH(ə)n(ə)l| adjective existing in or as part of a tradition; long-established: the traditional festivities of the church year.
- contrary adjective |ˈkäntrerē| 1 opposite- in nature, direction, or meaning: he ignored contrary advice and agreed on the deal.
- inseparable |inˈsep(ə)rəb(ə)l|adjective-(of one or more people) unwilling to be separated; usually seen together: they met 18 months ago and have been inseparable ever since.
- hormone |ˈhôrˌmōn| noun (Physiology)a synthetic substance with an effect similar to that of an animal or plant hormone. (hormones) a person’s sex hormones as held to influence behavior or mood.
- combat noun |ˈkämˌbat| fighting between armed forces: men killed in combat | pilots re-enacted the aerial combats of yesteryear | [ as modifier ] : a combat zone.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Some conservatives say transgender troops require too many medical procedures that would undermine the military’s fighting capability, and they hailed Wednesday’s announcement. With the challenges we are facing across the globe, we are asking the American people to invest their hard-earned money in national defense.
With the challenges we are facing across the globe, we are asking the American people to invest their hard-earned money in national defense… Each dollar needs to be spent to address threats facing our nation.