- *Lifesaver noun something or someone which provides help that is badly needed.
- podium |ˈpōdēəm| noun (plural podiums or podia |-dēə| ) a small platform on which a person may stand to be seen by an audience, as when making a speech or conducting an orchestra.
- attack |əˈtak| verb [with object] • criticize or oppose fiercely and publicly: he attacked the government’s defense policy.
- stamina |ˈstamənə| noun- the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort: their secret is stamina rather than speed.
- bail |bāl| verb • become free of an obligation or commitment; discontinue an activity: she felt ready to bail out of the corporate rat race.
- selfless |ˈselfləs| adjective concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one’s own; unselfish: an act of selfless devotion.
- navigate |ˈnavəˌɡāt| verb plan and direct the course of one’s life.
- (stab at) noun- informal an attempt to do (something): Meredith made a feeble stab at joining in.
- myth |miTH| noun a widely held but false belief or idea: he wants to dispel the myth that sea kayaking is too risky or too strenuous | there is a popular myth that corporations are big people with lots of money.
- surrogate |ˈsərəɡətˈsərəˌɡāt| noun a substitute, especially a person deputizing for another in a specific role or office: she was regarded as the surrogate for the governor during his final illness.
New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
I come from a long line of loser teachers.
Summers off is a myth.
III – 2-a
They have taken a bullet for children that aren’t even their own.
Reading Comprehension Fill-ins
Teachers encourage students to embrace kindness, and to avoid name calling, so I will take a lesson from the great educators I’ve had throughout my life, and resist countering this ridiculous attack with meanness. It is taking every fiber of my being to do so. But I had good loser teachers who would want me to take the high road. So in honor of them, I will.
Instead, I raise a glass to the loser teachers in our country. May we all strive to attain your level of loserdom. Our nation is in sore need of more wonderful, amazing losers like you.