Lesson Plan: “CES 2019: It’s the Year of Virtual Assistants”
II. While Reading Activities
- visual |ˈviZH(o͞o)əl| adjective -relating to seeing or sight: visual perception.
- abysmal |əˈbizməl| adjective1 extremely bad; appalling: the quality of her work is abysmal.
- virtual |ˈvərCH(o͞o)əl| adjective-Computing not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so: a virtual computer. See also virtual reality.
- gadget |ˈɡajət| noun-a small mechanical or electronic device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one: a state-of-the-art kitchen with every conceivable gadget.
- complex |ˌkämˈplekskəmˈpleksˈkämˌpleks| adjective-consisting of many different and connected parts: a complex network of water channels.
- cutting edge |ˈˌkədiNG ˈˌej| adjective(cutting-edge) at the latest or most advanced stage of development; innovative or pioneering: cutting-edge technology.
- autonomous |ôˈtänəməs| adjective-acting independently or having the freedom to do so: an autonomous committee of the school board | autonomous underwater vehicles.
- innovation |ˌinəˈvāSH(ə)n| noun- a new method, idea, product, etc.: technological innovations designed to save energy.
- focal |ˈfōk(ə)l| adjective- relating to the center or main point of interest: tapestries in which birds or animals provide the focal interest.
- bullish |ˈbo͝oliSH| adjective confident or optimistic about something: those who are bullish on the nation’s economic prospects.
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
Amazon also had a large presence at the show. It filled a large conference room at the Venetian hotel with dozens of products that work with Alexa, including an Audi car, a motorcycle helmet and a stereo system.
Google erected an enormous outdoor booth to show off the multitude of devices that now work with Assistant, including smart watches, speakers and displays. The company said a billion devices now work with its assistant, up from 400 million last year. Google wants to make the Assistant the focal point of a consumer’s life: in the home, in the car and on mobile devices.