II. While Reading Activities
- grim |ɡrim| adjective (grimmer, grimmest)• depressing or worrying to consider: the grim news of the murder.
- spur |spər| noun a thing that prompts or encourages someone; an incentive: profit was both the spur and the reward of enterprise.
- **seared adjective marked by extreme intensity, harshness, or emotional power; a searing review
- firearms |ˈfī(ə)rˌärm| noun a rifle, pistol, or other portable gun.
- adolescents|ˌadəˈles(ə)nt| adjective (of a young person) in the process of developing from a child into an adult.• relating to or characteristic of adolescence: his adolescent years | adolescent problems.
- ranks |raNGk| noun • (ranks) the people belonging to or constituting a group or class: the ranks of the unemployed.
- injured |ˈinjərd| adjective 1 harmed, damaged, or impaired: a road accident left him severely injured.
- shooter |ˈSHo͞odər| noun 1 a person who uses a gun either regularly or on a particular occasion.
- *mass shootings In the United States, the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 defines mass killings as three or more killings in a single incident, however the Act does not define mass shootings. Media outlets such as CNN and some crime violence research groups such as the Gun Violence Archive define mass shootings as involving “four or more shot (injured or killed) in a single incident, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter”.
- suicide |ˈso͞oəˌsīd| noun 1 the action of killing oneself intentionally: he committed suicide at the age of forty.
New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
I – 1 – are
In the U.S. children are more likely to die from gun violence than in any other high-income country.
II – 1 – in
The firearm-related death rate in the U.S. ranks 32nd in the world.
III – 1 – have
So far in 2022, at least 653 children and teens in the U.S. have been killed by guns.
Reading Comprehension Fill-ins
Many guns come from inside the home. In 2012, the shooter at Sandy Hook used his mother’s guns to kill her and 26 children and school staff members. In the 2018 shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas, the shooter used his father’s guns.