Lesson Plan: The Power of Pokémon Go on Kids and Adults
II. While Reading Activities
- scan |skan| verb- (scans, scanning, scanned) [ with obj. ] look at all parts of (something) carefully in order to detect some feature: he raised his binoculars to scan the coast.
- obsess |əbˈses| verb [ with obj. ]-preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent: he was obsessed with the theme of death | (as adj. obsessed) : he became completely obsessed about germs.
- companion |kəmˈpanyən| noun– a person or animal with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels: his traveling companion | figurative : fear became my constant companion.
- adolescent |ˌadəˈles(ə)nt|adjective – (of a young person) in the process of developing from a child into an adult.
- bribed |brīb| verb [ with obj. ]-persuade (someone) to act in one’s favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement: an undercover agent bribed the judge into giving a lenient sentence | he has no money to bribe with.
- enraptured |inˈrapCHərenˈrapCHər|-verb [ with obj. ] (usu. be enraptured) give intense pleasure or joy to: Ruth was enraptured by the child who was sleeping in her arms so peacefully.
- curmudgeon |kərˈməjən| noun a bad-tempered or surly person.
- nuisance |ˈn(y)o͞osəns| noun-a person, thing, or circumstance causing inconvenience or annoyance: an unreasonable landlord could become a nuisance | I hope you’re not going to make a nuisance of yourself.
- patronize |ˈpātrəˌnīzˈpatrəˌnīz| verb [ with obj. ]-frequent (a store, theater, restaurant, or other establishment) as a customer: restaurants remaining open in the evening were well patronized.
- collaboration kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n| noun-the action of working with someone to produce or create something: he wrote on art and architecture in collaboration with John Betjeman.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
My community came to life in vibrant shades of pastel blue and green, the grid of my neighborhood alive with magic. I caught a Bulbasaur on my comforter. A fluffy Eevee lurked within the garden. In jest, my boyfriend and I walked a block in pursuit of rustling leaves that indicated an animal not yet captured in our Pokédex. We caught him and walked the block. Then another. We walked five miles.