- precious |ˈpreSHəs| adjective- (of an object, substance, or resource) of great value; not to be wasted or treated carelessly: precious works of art | my time is precious.
- categorized |ˈkatəgəˌrīz| verb [ with obj. ] place in a particular class or group: odors have been categorized into only seven basic groups.
- scuffed |skəf| adjective-items that have been rubbed or torn against a rough surface. scuffed shoes have marks on them
- assortment |əˈsôrtmənt|noun-a miscellaneous collection of things or people: the room was filled with an assortment of clothes.
- prone |prōn| adjective-[ predic. ] (prone to/prone to do something) likely to do, or experience something, typically something regrettable or unwelcome: years of logging had left the mountains prone to mudslides | he is prone to jump to conclusions.
- tumble |ˈtəmbəl| verb- fall rapidly; property prices tumbled. the apples tumbled off her lap.
- rewarded |riˈwôrd| verb [ with obj. ]make a gift of something to (someone) in recognition of their services, efforts, or achievements: the engineer who supervised the work was rewarded with a bonus.
- icky |ˈikē| adjective ( ickier, ickiest ) informal, sticky, esp. unpleasantly so.
- interactions |ˌintərˈakSHən| noun-reciprocal action or influence: ongoing interaction between the two friends.
- birdbath |ˈbərdˌbaTH| noun-a small basin filled with water for birds to bathe in, typically found in a garden.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: True /False/NA-Statements
- F- Eight-year-old Gabi Mann keeps her gifts from the crows in a bead storage container.
- T- Gabi wraps and categorizes each item.
- T- Among her items from the crows are a silver ball, a black button,and a blue paper clip.
- F- Many of the items are scuffed and dirty.
- T- To Gabi these things are more valuable than gold.
- T- Gabi’s relationship with the neighborhood crows began accidentally.
- F- She’d get out of the car, and a chicken nugget tumbled off her lap.
- NA- There are 100 crows total.
- F- Lisa is Gabi’s mom who helps her keep track of the gifts.
- T-According to Gabi, the crows watch hem all the time.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
Inside the box are rows of small objects in clear plastic bags.
She holds up a pearl colored heart.
As she got older, she rewarded their attention.