II. While Reading Tasks: Word Inference
- Instant messaging (abbr.: IM) noun-a message sent via the Internet that appears on the recipient’s screen as soon as it is transmitted.
- routine |ro͞oˈtēn| noun-a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program: I settled down into a routine of work and sleep | as a matter of routine a report will be sent to the director.
- pushback |ˈpo͝oSHˌbak| noun-a negative or unfavorable response: there’s been some strong pushback from Republicans on this.
- precedent |ˈpresid(ə)nt| noun-an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances: there are substantial precedents for using interactive media in training .
- reimburse |ˌrē-imˈbərs| verb [ with obj. ] repay (a person who has spent or lost money): the investors should be reimbursed for their losses.
- effective |iˈfektiv| adjective-successful in producing a desired or intended result: effective solutions to environmental problems.
- advocate |ˈadvəkit| noun-a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy: he was an untiring advocate of economic reform.
- plausible |ˈplôzəbəl| adjective-(of an argument or statement) seeming reasonable or probable: a plausible explanation | it seems plausible that one of two things may happen.
- virtual |ˈvərCHo͞oəl| adjective-carried out, accessed, or stored by means of a computer, esp. over a network: a virtual library | virtual learning.
- consultation |ˌkänsəlˈtāSHən| noun-a meeting with an expert or professional, such as a medical doctor, in order to seek advice.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension : Word -Recognition
While telemedicine consultations have been around for decades, they have mostly connected specialists with patients in remote areas, who almost always had to visit a clinic or hospital for the videoconference. The difference now is that patients can be wherever they want and use their own smartphones or tablets for the visits, which are trending toward more basic care.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
More states are embracing the new world of virtual house calls.
Telemedicine consultations have been around for decades.
Some large insurers are starting to pay, too.