Lesson Plan Synesthesia: Artists Seeing Sound
II. While Reading Tasks
- visual |ˈviZHo͞oəl| adjective-of or relating to seeing or sight: visual perception.
- multi-sensory-\ˌməl-tē-ˈsen(t)-sə-adjective-relating to or involving several physiological senses (Marriam-Webster).
- hue |(h)yo͞o| noun-a color or shade: the attribute of a color by virtue of which it is discernible as red, green, etc.,
- neurological |n(y)o͝oˈräləjē| noun-the branch of medicine or biology that deals with the anatomy, functions, and organic disorders of nerves and the nervous system.
- textures |ˈteksCHər| noun-the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance: skin texture and tone | the cheese is firm in texture | the different colors and textures of bark.
- endeavors |enˈdevər|(Brit. endeavour ) noun-an attempt to achieve a goal: [ with infinitive ] : an endeavor to reduce serious injury. an enterprise or undertaking: a political endeavor.
- disregarded |ˌdisriˈgärd| verb [ with obj. ]-pay no attention to; ignore: the body of evidence is too substantial to disregard.
- rarity |ˈre(ə)ritē| noun ( pl. rarities ) the state or quality of being rare: the rarity of the condition. rare adjective -not occurring very often: a rare genetic disorder
- recreate|ˌrēkrēˈāt| verb [ with obj. ] create again: the door was now open to recreate a single German state.
- boon |bo͞on| noun [ usu. in sing. ] a thing that is helpful or beneficial: the navigation system will be a boon to both civilian and military users.
- The experience of colour as we usually understand it is a visual one.
- This neurological phenomenon is called synesthesia.
- Synesthesia is best described as a union of the senses.
- One friend has tastes and textures as well as colours for words.
- Synesthesia has been something of a hot topic in music.
- One of the main things is most artists have it.
- One man helping to educate the public is British composer Nick Ryan.
- He has grapheme-colour synesthesia.
- Ryan is far from the only artist to attempt to recreate their synesthesia.
- Synesthesia is a sensation scrapbook which the audience is immersed in.
Structure and Usage
I-1-A number of famous artists have experienced synesthesia.
II-2–One friend has tastes and textures as well as colours for words.
III-1-For some synesthesia can actually be a bonus.
IV. Listening Activity
Video: Seeing Sound, Tasting Color: Synesthesia
While Listening Tasks
1-b, 2-a, 3-c, 4-a, 5-c, 6-b, 7-a, 8-b.