II. While Reading Activities
- lingering |ˈliNGɡ(ə)riNG| adjective-lasting for a long time or slow to end: there are still some lingering doubts in my mind | a painful and lingering death.
- liftoff |ˈliftˌôf| noun-takeoff, especially the vertical takeoff of a rocket or helicopter.
- refurbish |rēˈfərbiSH| verb -renovate and redecorate (something, especially a building): the premises have been completely refurbished in our corporate style.
- deploy |dəˈploi| verb–bring into effective action; utilize: they are not always able to deploy this skill.
- launch |lôn(t)SHlän(t)SH| verb–send (a missile, satellite, or spacecraft) on its course or into orbit: they launched two Scud missiles.
- entrepreneur |ˌäntrəprəˈnər| noun-a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.
- splashdown |ˈsplaSHˌdoun| noun-the alighting of a returning spacecraft on the sea, with the assistance of parachutes.
- dock |däk| verb–• (of a spacecraft) join with a space station or another spacecraft in space.
- notion |ˈnōSH(ə)n| noun- a conception of or belief about something: children have different notions about the roles of their parents | I had no notion of what her words meant.
- economic |ˌekəˈnämikˌēkəˈnämik| adjective- requiring fewer resources or costing less money: solar power may provide a more economic solution.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Word -Recognition
The Dragon will also deliver many science experiments.The experiments on board will support about 220 investigations currently happening at the space station. “They span a multitude of scientific disciplines, including biological research, the physical sciences, the human research that we’re doing with the astronauts, the technology demonstration studying Earth and space from the ISS, and then last but not least, the educational activities that students have an opportunity to participate in.
Grammar Focus: Prepositions
On Thursday weather permitted SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket to safely lift off.
A little over 10 minutes into the flight, the Dragon separated from the Falcon 9’s second stage.
On Monday the spacecraft will dock at the space station’s Harmony module.
Hans Koenigsmann, vice president of flight reusability at SpaceX, said “We are hoping to stay at this rate through the rest of the year.