Lesson Plan: This Woman Saved Lives While on a Zoom Call
II. While Reading Activities
- dart |därt| verb • [with object] cast (a look or one’s eyes) suddenly and rapidly in a particular direction: she darted a glance across the table.
- choppy |ˈCHäpē| adjective (choppier, choppiest) 1 (of a sea or river) having many small waves: sea conditions are often very choppy | heavy, choppy seas.
- pandemic |panˈdemik| adjective (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.
- vanish |ˈvaniSH| verb [no object] disappear suddenly and completely: He vanished without a trace.
- hypothermia |ˌhīpəˈTHərmēə| noun the condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low.
- ingest |inˈjest| verb [with object] take (food, drink, or another substance) into the body by swallowing or absorbing it.
- dredge 1 |drej| verb [with object] • bring up or clear (something) from a river, harbor, or other area of water with a dredge: mud was dredged out of the harbor | [no object] : they start to dredge for oysters in November.
- mortality |môrˈtalədē| noun (plural mortalities) 1 the state of being subject to death: He was increasingly haunted by thoughts of mortality.
- tread water phrase (past treaded water or trod water) maintain an upright position in deep water by moving the feet with a walking movement and the hands with a downward circular motion.
- serendipitous |ˌserənˈdipədəs| adjective occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way: a serendipitous encounter.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
I – 1 – on
On a very clear day, Pam Harght can see Boston.
II – 1- started
Ms. Harght started working from home during the pandemic.
III -1 – members
All three crew members of a fishing boat were rescued.
Reading Comprehension: Identify The Speakers
- Pam Harght can see Boston from her third-floor home office, and lives in Marshfield, Mass. “My boss is in L.A. Thirty seconds later, the boat just vanished. That’s when my jaw just dropped.”
- John P. Murphy, Scituate’s fire chief. “She must have just looked up at the right time. The stars were aligned for these gentlemen being alive today.”
- Joe Roderick, one of the crew members who was rescued. “I was thinking about my children. In my imagination, I was never going to make it home. It was ice-cold water out. It was terrifying.”
- Monte Rome, the owner of Intershell International. “It was serendipitous that Ms. Harght had been watching and that the hose acted as a float.”