II. While Reading Tasks
- niche |niCHnēSH| noun-(one’s niche) a comfortable or suitable position in life or employment: he is now a partner at a leading law firm and feels he has found his niche.
- gruesome |ˈɡro͞osəm| adjective-causing repulsion or horror; grisly: a most gruesome murder.
- daunted |dôntdänt| verb [ with obj. ] (usu. be daunted) make (someone) feel intimidated or apprehensive: some people are daunted by technology.
- lurid |ˈlo͝orəd| adjective-very vivid in color, especially so as to create an unpleasantly harsh or unnatural effect: lurid food colorings | a pair of lurid shorts.
- app |ap| nounComputing-an application, especially as downloaded by a user to a mobile device. apparently there are these new apps that will actually read your emails to you.
- suggestions |sə(ɡ)ˈjesCH(ə)n| noun-an idea or plan put forward for consideration.
- streaming |ˈstrēmiNG| Computing noun-a method of transmitting or receiving data (especially video and audio material) over a computer network as a steady, continuous flow, allowing playback to proceed while subsequent data is being received.
- gimmick |ˈɡimik| noun-a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
- replicate verb |ˈrepləˌkāt| [ with obj. ] make an exact copy of; reproduce: it might be impractical to replicate eastern culture in the west.
- exaggerate |iɡˈzajəˌrāt| verb [ with obj. ]represent (something) as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is: they were apt to exaggerate any aches and pains | [ no obj. ] : I couldn’t sleep for three days—I’m not exaggerating.
Shudder subscriptions are available in the United States for $4.99 a month or $47.88 a year, and in Canada, Britain and Ireland at locally adjusted prices. A Shudder app is available on all major streaming devices.