Lesson Plan: Future Caregivers:Reliable Robots or Abusive Humans?
II. While Reading Activities
- pine cones |ˈpaɪn ˌkoʊn| noun-the conical or rounded woody fruit of a pine tree, with scales that open to release the seeds.
- prescriptions |priˈskripSHən| noun-an instruction written by a medical practitioner that authorizes a patient to be provided a medicine or treatment: he scribbled a prescription for tranquilizers.
- oxymoron |ˌäksəˈmôrˌän| noun-a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true).
- ideal |īˈdē(ə)l| adjective- existing only in the imagination; desirable or perfect but not likely to become a reality: in an ideal world, we might have made a different decision.
- unreliable |ˌənriˈlīəbəl| adjective-not able to be relied upon: he’s lazy and unreliable | unreliable information.
- caregiving –caregiver |ˈke(ə)rˌgivər| noun-a family member or paid helper who regularly looks after a child or a sick, elderly, or disabled person.
- tedious |ˈtēdēəs| adjective-too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous: a tedious journey.
- adverse |adˈvərs, ˈadvərs| adjective- preventing success or development; harmful; unfavorable: taxes are having an adverse effect on production | adverse weather conditions .
- consortium kənˈsôrSH(ē)əm, -ˈsôrtēəm| noun ( pl. consortia |-tēə, -SH(ē)ə| or consortiums ) an association, typically of several business companies.
- prototype |ˈprōtəˌtīp| noun-a first, typical or preliminary model of something, esp. a machine, from which other forms are developed or copied: the firm is testing a prototype of the weapon
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Words in the order they appear in the paragraphs.
Japan, healing, program, shortages, prevent, robots, lifting, consortium, robot, reminders, medications, healthy, Sweden, GiraffPlus, vacuum cleaner, metrics, family.
Structure and Usage
I – 1-make
Each time I make a house call, I stay much longer than I should.
II- 3- see
You can see older Japanese people chatting happily with a robot.
III – 2-life
In that new world, my lonely life would be improved by a robot caregiver.
IV. Listening Activity
Robots as Caregivers in an Aging World – AARP Tech Beat
buzz |bəz| noun [ in sing. ]-informal a rumor: the buzz is that he’s married.
ASIMO an acronym for Advanced Step in Innovative MObility, is a humanoid robot designed and developed by Honda. Introduced on 21 October 2000, ASIMO was designed to be a multi-functional mobile assistant. With aspirations of helping those who lack full mobility.
humanoid |ˈ(h)yo͞oməˌnoid| adjective-having an appearance or character resembling that of a human.
While Listening Activities
In japan engineers have been designing robots for years, knowing the country will need them to care for a rapidly aging population. Something America may also require in the years ahead
And that inspired a film that created some buzz in the 2012 Sundance film festival.
Set in the not so distant future, Robot and Frank follows the rocky relationship between a man with early Alzheimer’s and his robot companion.
Now meet ASIMO, what Honda calls the world’s most advanced humanoid robot.
ASIMO will soon be able to recognize a person’s features and even distinguish between people if more than one is talking to the robot.