II. While Reading Activities: Word Inference
- marvel |ˈmärvəl| verb-marvels, marvelling, marvelled) be filled with wonder or astonishment: they marveled at Jeffrey’s composure |
- underemployed |ˌəndərimˈploid| adjective-(of a person) not having enough paid work or not doing work that makes full use of their skills and abilities.
- redundant|rəˈdəndənt| adjective-not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous: this redundant brewery has been converted into a library | many of the old skills had become redundant.
- era |ˈirəˈerə| noun [archaic]- a date or event marking the beginning of a new and distinct period of time.
- retraining |rēˈtrān| verb teach (someone) new skills, especially so that they can do a different job.
- minimum |ˈminəməm| noun (pl. minima |-mə| or minimums) [ usu. in sing. ] the least or smallest amount or quantity possible, attainable, or required: technical difficulties have been kept to a minimum | they checked passports with the minimum of fuss.
- thorny |ˈTHôrnē| adjective (thornier, thorniest) causing distress, difficulty, or trouble: a thorny problem for our team to solve.
- dislocation |ˌdislōˈkāSH(ə)n| noun-disturbance from a proper, original, or usual place or state: he fell prey to loneliness and a wrenching sense of dislocation | the social dislocations caused by government policies.
- freeloaders |ˈfrēˌlōdər| noun [informal] a person who takes advantage of others’ generosity without giving anything in return.
- self-reliance |ˈˌsɛlf rəˈlaɪəns| noun-reliance on one’s own powers and resources rather than those of others.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
Right now, it is tough for anyone with a high school education to find a job that pays enough money to live on. In just a few years, millions of jobs at the low end of the economic spectrum will be taken over by machines and the undereducated will be completely out of luck.
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
There will be plenty of wealth to go around, but not that much work. Unless we want millions to starve or go homeless or riot in the streets, our society will need to guarantee a minimum income for everyone by letting all citizens share in the vast wealth created by robot labor.