II. While Reading Tasks
- exploration |ˌekspləˈrāSHən| noun-the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it: voyages of exploration on the moon.
- deposit |diˈpäzit| noun-a layer or body of accumulated matter: the deposits of salt on the chrome.
- ideal |īˈdē(ə)l| adjective-satisfying one’s conception of what is perfect; most suitable: the swimming pool is ideal for a quick dip
- quadrupedal |ˈkwädrəˌped| noun-an animal that has four feet, esp. an ungulate mammal.
- previously |ˈprēvēəslē| adverb-at a previous or earlier time; before: museums and art galleries that had previously been open to the public | they discovered a previously unknown gene.
- sophisticated |səˈfistiˌkātid| adjective-(of a machine, system, or technique) developed to a high degree of complexity: highly sophisticated computer systems.
- sensor |ˈsensər|-noun-a device that detects or measures a physical property and records, indicates, or otherwise responds to it.
- equip |iˈkwip| verb (equips, equipping, equipped) [ with obj. ]supply with the necessary items for a particular purpose: all bedrooms are equipped with a color TV | they equipped themselves for the journey.
- spine |spīn| noun- a series of vertebrae extending from the skull to the small of the back, enclosing the spinal cord and providing support for the thorax and abdomen; the backbone.
- embeded |emˈbed| (also imbed |im-| ) (often as adj. embedded) design and build as an integral part of a system or device.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
- F-The chimpanzee model is a design from Bremen, Germany.
- T- The design is called the iStruct Demonstrator.
- F- They chose the ape because it allows researchers to study several locomotion modes.
- T- Chimps have good quadrupedal walking abilities and they can also perform stand- up motion and walk on two legs.
- NA-Chimps live longer than most monkeys.
- T- The project has also built Lunar craters in a lab to test the prototype.
- F- The German space agency is very happy with the results.
- NA-There are approximately 100 robot chimps thus far.
- T-The biggest advantage is the robot has a spine like a real chimp.
- F- Plans for a lunar mantis and a lunar scorpion are also being considered.
Grammar Focus: Preposition Exercise
DFKI hopes its design called the iStruct Demonstrator will capitalize on the inherent stability of the ape’s quadrupedal stance without losing the chimp’s versatility in climbing, grasping and moving over all types of terrain.
The chimpanzee is not the only animal that is being studied by DFKI as a potential model for a lunar robot. Also on the drawing board are plans for a lunar mantis and a lunar scorpion.
Also at the prototype stage, the advantage of this type of locomotion, Kuhn says, has great potential.