Lesson Plan: Barack Obama: Reflection on a Great President
II. While Reading Activities
- indignity |inˈdiɡnədē| noun (pl. indignities) treatment or circumstances that cause one to feel shame or to lose one’s dignity: the indignity of needing financial help | he was subjected to all manner of indignities.
- despair |dəˈsper| verb- the complete loss or absence of hope:lose or be without hope: we should not despair | he was beginning to despair of ever knowing.
- unique |yo͞oˈnēk| adjective-being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: the situation was unique in modern politics | original and unique designs.
- dignity |ˈdiɡnədē| noun (pl. dignities) the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect: a man of dignity and unbending principle | the dignity of labor.
- accomplishments |əˈkämpliSHmənt| noun-something that has been achieved successfully: the reduction of inflation was a remarkable accomplishment.
- crossroads |ˈkrôsˌrōdz| noun- a point at which a crucial decision must be made that will have far-reaching consequences: we stand again at a historic crossroads.
- decency |ˈdēsənsē|noun (pl. decencies)- behavior that conforms to accepted standards of morality or respectability: she had the decency to come and confess.
- restrained |rəˈstrānd| adjective- characterized by reserve or moderation; unemotional or dispassionate: he had restrained manners.
- legacy |ˈleɡəsē| noun (pl. legacies) a thing handed down by a predecessor: the legacy of centuries of neglect.
- heavy |ˈhevē| adjective-mentally oppressive; hard to endure: a heavy burden of responsibility.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
Watching President Obama at the Kennedy Center Honors show on television every December has reliably put a lump in my throat. The way he grinned, and grooved, and shook his head in time with the music, eyes closed, and mouthed the words — unquestionably cool. But the lump came from seeing his palpable pleasure in the extraordinary range of talent being celebrated, the diversity of Americans’ creativity on glorious display.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
President Obama’s domestic legacy is one of thoughtful policy.
President Obama showed his humanity.
It is because of him that I finally found my place in America.