II. While Reading Tasks
Scramble Words Puzzle
- The Martian Chronicles
- greatest mind
- his imagination
- The Illustrated Man
When I was young, Bradbury was my man. I followed him to Mars, to the veldt, to the future, to the past, to the heart of America, I rode out with him on the Pequod, and on rockets. He was the first of my literary obsessions, but he set the terms of what I talked about when I talked about loving an author. I read everything of his that was in the library, which wasn’t even a quarter of what he produced. Never saw the man in person, but when I was young I had dreams where he appeared, where we spoke. Of course, like a faithful nerd, I saw “Something Wicked This Way Comes” the Friday it opened; caught François Truffaut’s “Fahrenheit 451” on VCR; watched “The Illustrated Man” and “The Martian Chronicles” on TV; and was a faithful viewer of “The Ray Bradbury Theater,” but none of them ever came close to the magnificent light that poured off his prose.
Questions for Reading Comprehension
True / False
- T- She mentioned that she had actually visited his (Bradbury) home.
- F- He considered himself primarily a fantasist.
- T-When I was young, Bradbury was my man.
- F- “Something Wicked This Way Comes” opened on a Friday.
- F- “The Illustrated Man” and “The Martian Chronicles” were written by Ray Bradbury.
- F-And then there was his story “All Summer in a Day,” a perennial middle-school favorite.
- F- I remember reading that story very young, when I was still wrestling with English.
- F- I read that short tale, and when I came to those ruthless final lines I was shattered by them.
- T- I had never known what I’d been experiencing as an immigrant, never had language for it until I read that story.
- T- It was my first real taste of the power of fiction.
IV. Listening Activity
Video Clip: NEA Big Read: Meet Ray Bradbury
While Listening Task
True / False statements
- F- He learned to read when he was 3 years-old.
- T- He loved comic strips and he loved the cartoons on Sunday.
- T- He got a book on fairy tales at 5 years- old.
- T-He loved fairy tales like like Beauty and the Beast and Jack and the beanstalk.
- F- And by the time he was 3 years-old he saw his first movie he saw was the Hunch back of Notre Dame, and he hoped to grow up to become a a hunchback.
- F- When he was 5 years he saw the Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney.
- T- He became infatuated with Lon Chaney.
- T-When he was 6 he saw a film on dinosaurs. and they infected his whole life.
- T- He was 7 years-old when he went to the library for the first time.
- T- Some authors he named were: Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Emily Dickerson, Edgar Allan Poe,and Robert Frost.
- F- The Martian Chronicles was based on the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
- F- At 12 years-old he looked at the planet Mars he said “take me home” and they did…
- T- When he was 12 he saw a carnival where he met the Illustrated man.
- T- He thought that if he kept writing he could live forever.