Lesson Plan: Picture Books to soothe and fire the imagination of Kids
II. While Reading Activities
Vocabulary Word Inference –
- plaque |plak| noun 1 an ornamental tablet, typically of metal, porcelain, or wood, that is fixed to a wall or other surface in commemoration of a person or event.
- anthropomorphic |ˌanTHrəpəˈmôrfik| adjective having human characteristics: anthropomorphic bears and monkeys.
- fantasy |ˈfan(t)əsē| noun (plural fantasies) 1 the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable: his research had moved into the realm of fantasy.
- pore 2 |pôr| verb [no object] (pore over/through) be absorbed in the reading or study of: Heather spent hours poring over cookbooks.
- collage |kəˈläZH| • a combination or collection of various things.
- Illustrated |ˈiləˌstrādəd| adjective (of a book, newspaper, etc.) containing pictures or other graphical material: an illustrated collection of poems.
- embark |əmˈbärk| verb [no object] begin (a course of action, especially one that is important or demanding): he embarked on a new career.
- frock |fräk| noun 1 a woman’s or girl’s dress.
- tactile |ˈtaktlˈtakˌtīl| adjective of or connected with the sense of touch: vocal and visual signals become less important as tactile signals intensify.
- antics |ˈan(t)iks| pl. noun foolish, outrageous, or amusing behavior: the antics of our political parties.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
Children will pore over this moody watercolor-soaked story of an introvert’s creative awakening, which contains within it a bright collage of weirdly wonderful dreams and nightmares, while adults will covet it as a work of art that speaks to their inner child.
- T- In the story I Dream of A Journey, By Akiko Miyakoshi, the name of the hotel is Solitude Hotel.
- F- The inn keeper in the story is unhappy.
- F- In the story When You Look Up by Decur, there is a boy who believes the world exists only inside his cellphone.
- T- The story Lift by by Minh Lê, concerns a girl who loves to push buttons.
- F- The girl in the story secretly snatches the old up button from the lobby trash, and tapes it outside her closet door.
- T-Every time she pushes the ‘button’ the girl embarks on nightly ‘out of this world’ all-on-her-own adventures.
- F – In A Story About Afiya by James Berry, the young girl’s name (Afiya) means health in Swahili.
- T- The story focuses on Afiya’s dress and the various things that adhere to it.
- T- The illustrator Anna Cunha is Brazilian.
- T – In the story Lali’s Feather, we see that local birds disown the ‘lost’ feather Lali finds.