Lesson Plan: Pete Seeger: The Gentle Warrior
II. While Reading Activities
- surrounded |səˈround| verb [ with obj. ] (usu. be surrounded) be all around (someone or something): the hotel is surrounded by its own gardens | figurative : he loves to surround himself with family and friends.
- swirling |swərl| verb [ no obj. ] move in a twisting or spiraling pattern: the smoke was swirling around him | (as adj. swirling) figurative : a flood of swirling emotions.
- inspired |inˈspīrd| verb [ with obj. ] fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative: [ with obj. and infinitive ] : his passion for romantic literature inspired him to begin writing.
- humbled |ˈhəmbəl| adjective ( humbler , humblest ) having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance: he was humble about his stature as one of rock history’s most influential guitarists.
- healing ing |ˈhēliNG| -adjective-tending to heal; therapeutic: a healing experience | the healing process.
- determination |diˌtərməˈnāSHən| noun-firmness of purpose; resoluteness: he advanced with an unflinching determination.
- initiate |iˈniSHēˌāt| verb [ with obj. ] cause (a process or action) to begin: he proposes to initiate discussions on planning procedures.
- shield |SHēld| noun-a person or thing providing protection: a protective coating of grease provides a shield against abrasive dirt.
- bard |bärd| noun- archaic or literary -a poet, traditionally one reciting epics and associated with a particular oral tradition.
- optimism |ˈäptəˌmizəm| noun-hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something: the talks had been amicable, and there were grounds for optimism.
- F- Pete Seeger was a famous folk singer.
- T- When Seeger placed his hand to his ear this was a signal to the audience to sing louder.
- F- Beacon, N.Y., was his longtime home town.
- F- His wife Toshi died last July.
- F- Pete Seeger died at age 94.
- NA- His parents were very happy people.
- T- He used his songs as a weapon to fight injustices.
- T- Seeger believed that the future holds great promise.
- T- The Beacon Sloop Club was started by Pete Seeger.
- F- Seeger wrote the song “To My Old Brown Earth,” in 1958.