Lesson Plan: The New NRA Fairy Tales: Children With Guns!
II. While Reading: Word Inference
- advocate noun |ˈadvəkit|-a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy: he was an untiring advocate of economic reform.
- conservative |kənˈsərvətiv| noun-a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.
- overtone |ˈōvərˌtōn| noun-(often overtones) a subtle or subsidiary quality, implication, or connotation: the decision may have political overtones.
- grim |grim| adjective forbidding or uninviting: his grim expression | long rows of grim, dark housing developments.
- protagonist |prōˈtagənist, prō-| noun-the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.
- Coalition |ˌkōəˈliSHən| noun-an alliance for combined action, esp. a temporary alliance of political parties forming a government or of states: a coalition of conservatives and disaffected Democrats |
- depiction |diˈpikSHən| noun the action or result of depicting something, esp. in art: the painting’s horrific depiction of war | Michelangelo’s depictions of the male nude.
- consequence |ˈkänsikwəns, -ˌkwens|noun a result or effect of an action or condition: many have been laid off from work as a consequence of the administration’s policies.
- distracting |disˈtraktiNG| adjective-preventing concentration or diverting attention; disturbing: she found his nearness distracting.
- bagged verb-(bags, bagging, bagged) [ with obj. ] (of a hunter) succeed in killing or catching an animal: in 1979, handgun hunters bagged 677 deer.
Reading Comprehension: Word -Recognition
Efforts to reach Ms. Hamilton on Friday were unsuccessful. In an interview with N.R.A. News, she said her versions were “kinder” than the originals by the Grimm brothers because no grandmothers or children were eaten and, despite the guns, the villains were not shot.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
No grandmothers or children were eaten.
The group has published two of the updated tales.
An old woman eaten by a wolf in one story.