Lesson Plan: MIT: AI Powered Chats From Beyond the Grave!
II. While Reading Activities
- immortal |i(m)ˈmôrtl| adjective-living forever; never dying or decaying: our mortal bodies are inhabited by immortal souls.
- entrepreneurs |ˌäntrəprəˈno͝or, -ˈnər| noun a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.
- curated |ˈkyo͝oˌrāt| verb [ with obj. ] select, organize, and look after the items in (a collection or exhibition): both exhibitions are curated by the museum’s director.
- creepy |ˈkrēpē|-adjective ( creepier , creepiest ) informal causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease: the creepy feelings one often gets in a strange house.
- legacy |ˈlegəsē| noun ( pl. legacies )- a thing handed down by a predecessor: the legacy of centuries of neglect.
- pragmatic |pragˈmatik| adjective- dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations: a pragmatic approach to politics.
- fragments |ˈfragmənt| noun- a small part broken or separated off something: small fragments of pottery, glass, and tiles.
- Avatars |ˈavəˌtär| noun- Computing an icon or figure representing a particular person in computer games, Internet forums, etc.
- mourn |môrn| verb [ with obj. ]- feel or show deep sorrow or regret for (someone or their death), typically by following conventions such as the wearing of black clothes: Isabel mourned her husband
- explicitly |ikˈsplisit| adjective- stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt: the speaker’s intentions were not made explicit .
- F- Life-logging is all the rage for today’s 20- 30- and 40-somethings.
- T- Eterni.me invites users to “Simply Become Immortal”.
- F- The website’s had 40,000 visitors as of noon on Thursday.
- F- Nicholas Lee is a member of the founding team.
- F- According to Marius Ursache people have a fear of not existing any more.
- T- One of the things that Eterni.me will do is to generate an avatar that emulates your personality.
- F- The target market for this application is 30- to 35-year-olds.
- T- Some people think this idea of talking to dead people is creepy.
- T- There are people who explicitly want to keep “digital memories” made by their loved ones.
- T- The team says many responses they’ve encountered have been positive.
Structure and Usage
I. 1-One group of entrepreneurs thinks the secret to immortality lies in a digital time capsule.
II. 3-People are still worried about leaving behind a legacy.
III. 2-It’s the fear of not existing any more.