Post and Lesson Plan Here
II. While Reading Tasks
- It is spoiling nothing to disclose that Pi Patel, the younger son of an Indian zoo owner…a.ruin
- Whether a viewer’s good will can survive until the shipwreck is another matter. b. destroy
- his younger self… whose life is so besotted by wonder…c. infatuated
- Pi grows up in Pondicherry, a serene and picturesque city in South India.b. attractive
- …inflected with a hint of exoticism by Mychael Danna’s score…c. out of the ordinary
- Pi himself is infused with a godliness… b. filled
- After receiving a quick précis of the Gospels from a kindly priest, Pi offers up a prayer…b. summary
- Mr. Sharma is a gangly, likable presence, with an emotional expressiveness…a. lanky
- Tales of lonely survival have a durable, almost primal appeal…a. basic
- Suffice it to say that the simple, elemental facts of sky, sea and animal life are captured with sweetness and sublimity. b. adequate
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
- Reading Comprehension
Words as they appear in the article:
spoiling, disclose, Pi Patel, Indian, shipwreck, Pacific Ocean, adaptation, popular, readable, A middle-aged Pi, tale, life, ordeal, witness, survive, besotted, piety, wrong.
IV. Listening Activity
Video Clip: “Ang Lee’s Interview for his film “Life Of PI”
According to Ang Lee:
F- Lee describes himself as a filmmaker and a story teller.
T- The book examines the illusion and also examines our need to have faith and our relation to God.
T- The movie is not strictly religious but it’s faith related and spiritual.
F- It’s wonderful material, but its not that film friendly.
T- It’s technically difficult and expensive.
F- The movie is very loyal to the book but Lee had to consolidate a lot of material .
T- The tiger Richard Parker symbolizes two things: obstacles, and survival. The other is your inner tiger.
F- In life your biggest enemy is yourself.
F- He had 4 tigers to play the role, but most of the parts were digital.
T-The part Lee liked most was working on digital because it feels like painting to him.