Lesson Plan: “Justice Ginsburg Urges New Citizens to Make America Better”
II. While Reading Activities
- oath |ōTH| noun (plural oaths |ōTHs, ōT͟Hz| )1 a solemn promise, often invoking a divine witness, regarding one’s future action or behavior: they took an oath of allegiance to the United States.
- appropriate |əˈprōprēət| adjective- suitable or proper in the circumstances: a measure appropriate to a wartime economy.
- contentious |kənˈten(t)SHəs| adjective-causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial: a contentious issue.
- officiate |əˈfiSHēˌāt| verb-perform a religious service or ceremony: he baptized children and officiated at weddings.
- preside |prəˈzīd| verb [no object]-be in the position of authority in a meeting or gathering: Bishop Herbener presided at the meeting | (as adjective presiding) : the sentence imposed by the presiding judge.
- naturalization |ˌnaCH(ə)rələˈzāSHənˌnaCH(ə)rəˌlīˈzāSHən| —noun-1 the admittance of a foreigner to the citizenship of a country: an application for naturalization as a British citizen | [as modifier] : the naturalization process can be intimidating.
- inspirational |ˌinspəˈrāSH(ə)n(ə)l| adjective-providing or showing creative or spiritual inspiration: the team’s inspirational captain.
- equality |əˈkwälədē| noun-the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities: an organization aiming to promote racial equality.
- pediatric |ˌpēdēˈatrik| (British paediatric) adjective-relating to the branch of medicine dealing with children and their diseases: the hospital’s pediatric ward | pediatric oncology.
- humble |ˈhəmbəl| adjective (humbler, humblest) humbleness (noun) having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance: he was humble about his stature as one of rock history’s most influential guitarists.
As a champion of women’s rights and equality, Justice Ginsburg proved inspirational to men and women in the audience. Pranitha Mantrala, 35, a physician originally from India, said the message was clear: “I think we can achieve anything.” She became a citizen along with her husband, Srikanth Ambati, 38, who is a pediatric cancer specialist at Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. “It meant a lot for me, especially her parents coming from such a background, and her going into such a high profession,” Dr. Mantrala said. “It’s adorable.”
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
Justice Ginsburg will mark her 25th year on the bench in August.
Justice Ginsburg was careful to present this nation as one that is heavily into self-improvement.
She urged its newest citizens to vote and to foster unity.