II. While Reading Activities
- nurse verb [with object] hold (a cup or glass) in one’s hands, drinking from it occasionally: I nursed a double brandy.
- primatologist |ˌprīməˈtäləjē| noun -the branch of zoology that deals with primates.
- affiliates verb |əˈfilēˌāt| [with object] (usually be affiliated with) officially attach or connect (a subsidiary group or a person) to an organization: the college is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin.
- preserve |prəˈzərv| verb [with object] maintain (something) in its original or existing state: all records of the past were zealously preserved | (as adjective preserved) : a magnificently preserved monastery.
- extinction |ikˈstiNG(k)SH(ə)n| noun 1 the state or process of a species, family, or larger group being or becoming extinct: the extinction of the great auk | mass extinctions.
- arduous ˈärjo͞oəs| adjective involving or requiring strenuous effort; difficult and tiring: an arduous journey.
- unconventional |ˌənkənˈven(t)SH(ə)n(ə)l| adjective not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed: his unconventional approach to life.
- self-sufficiency noun the quality or condition of being self-sufficient: a means of developing economic self-sufficiency.
- inherit |inˈherət| verb (inherits, inheriting, inherited) [with object] receive (money, property, or a title) as an heir at the death of the previous holder: she inherited a fortune from her father.
- parcels |ˈpärsəl| noun a thing or collection of things wrapped in paper in order to be carried or sent by mail.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
At 85, she’s still preaching.
II – 2-a
Ms. Goodall is a celebrated primatologist.
For more than an hour, Ms. Goodall spoke about her family history.
- F-Jane Goodall is a primatologist.
- F-Ms. Goodall is 85 years old.
- T-She has a home in England.
- T-Jane’s father was an engineer during War II.
- F-Her mother looked after the family.
- F-Jane has one sister.
- T-Her very first job was with an aunt who was a physiotherapist.
- T-Her uncle Rex, joined the air force and was killed.
- F-Jane didn’t have any academic training when she first began working with chimps.
- T- Some of the problems for the people in Gombe, Tanzania, were poverty, lack of health care and education.