Lesson Plan: Instagram Has A New Anti-Bullying Feature!
II. While Reading Activities
- bully |ˈbo͝olē| noun (plural bullies) a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.
- reluctant |rəˈləktənt| adjective – unwilling and hesitant; disinclined: [with infinitive] : she seemed reluctant to discuss the matter.
- insufficient |ˌinsəˈfiSH(ə)nt| adjective- not enough; inadequate: there was insufficient evidence to convict him.
- escalate |ˈeskəˌlāt| verb [no object] • become or cause to become more intense or serious: [no object] : the disturbance escalated into a full-scale riot | [with object] : we do not want to escalate the war.
- counter |ˈkoun(t)ər| verb [with object] speak or act in opposition to: the second argument is more difficult to counter.• [no object]
- render |ˈrendər| verb [with object] [with object and complement] cause to be or become; make: the rains rendered his escape impossible.
- peer |pir| a person of the same age, status, or ability as another specified person: he has incurred much criticism from his academic peers.
- nuanced |ˈn(y)o͞oˌänst| adjective -characterized by subtle shades of meaning or expression: Lowe’s work has gradually grown more nuanced | the nuanced tone of the performances.
- restricted |rəˈstriktəd| adjective [attributive] limited in extent, number, scope, or action: Western scientists had only restricted access to the site.
- aspire |əˈspī(ə)r|verb [no object] direct one’s hopes or ambitions toward achieving something: we never thought that we might aspire to those heights | [with infinitive] : other people will aspire to be like you.
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
Instagram has been criticized as providing a unique set of tools that enable bullying. It’s easy to set up anonymous profiles that can then be used to troll others. The scale of the platform allows hurtful comments or harassing posts to go viral. And while parents and teachers may be able to observe and stop bullying that happens face-to-face, online bullying is often hidden.
Reading Comprehension Fill-ins
“What we aspire to do — and this will take years, I want to be clear — is to lead the fight against online bullying,” Mosseri said at Facebook’s annual F8 developers conference last April. In an interview with NPR’s Cornish, Mosseri discussed being bullied as a child.