Lesson Plan: Can Virtual Classrooms Reach the Homeless Students?
II. While Reading Activities
- shelter |ˈSHeltər| noun • a place providing food and accommodations for the homeless.
- contagious |kənˈtājəs| adjective 1 (of a disease) spread from one person or organism to another by direct or indirect contact: a contagious infection.
- isolated isolated |ˈīsəˌlādəd| adjective • having minimal contact or little in common with others: he lived a very isolated existence.
- device |dəˈvīs| noun 1 a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment: a measuring device.
- hot spot |ˈhɑt ˌspɑt| noun • a public place with an available wireless signal for Internet access.
- remote |rəˈmōt| adjective (of a place) situated far from the main centers of population; distant: a remote Oregon valley | I’d chosen a spot that looked as remote from any road as possible.• Computing denoting a device that can only be accessed by means of a network.
- shuttering |ˈSHədəriNG| verb [with object] | (as adjective shuttered) : barred and shuttered stores.• chiefly North American close (a business): the city was gripped by economic forces that were squeezing its tax base and shuttering its factories.
- recreate |ˌrēkrēˈāt| verb [with object]create again: the door was now open to recreate a single German state.
- underutilize |ˌəndərˈyo͞odlˌīz| verb [with object] underuse (something).
- concentrate |ˈkänsənˌtrāt| verb 1 [no object] focus one’s attention or mental effort on a particular object or activity: she couldn’t concentrate on the movie.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
I -1 – announced
Mr. Carranza had announced earlier that the city would distribute an estimated 300,000 devices.
II -2 –students
Around the city, other students were resorting to the same alternative.
III – 1 –talking
Kamiyah’s favorite story is talking about animals.
- F- Allia lives in New York.
- F- She’s 10 years old.
- T – She and her mom live in a homeless shelter.
- T- She knows that the coronavirus is a very contagious virus.
- F- Allia’s iPad does not have internet.
- T- Many children are going to get left behind because they don’t have their devices or they didn’t have the access to the internet.
- T- There are about 450 shelters for families and single adults in the main shelter system.
- F- Another woman, Toiyia lives with her two sons Tahir, 8 and Khalil, 18.
- F- Khalil, has been accepted to six state colleges so far.
- F- Allia had no big brother and no iPad, but she pressed on completing her assignments on her mother’s phone.