II. While Reading Tasks
- biopic |ˈbīōˌpik| noun- informal a biographical movie.
- ardent |ˈärdnt| adjective-enthusiastic or passionate: an ardent baseball fan.
- align |əˈlīn| verb- figurative : aligning prices with prices in world markets.
- array |əˈrā| noun-an impressive display or range of a particular type of thing: there is a vast array of literature on the topic | a bewildering array of choices.
- audacious |ôˈdāSHəs| adjective-showing a willingness to take surprisingly bold risks: a series of audacious takeovers.
- solipsist |ˈsälipˌsizəm| noun -person who believes in solipsism; the view or theory which denies the possibility of any knowledge other than of one’s own existence.
- anticipate |anˈtisəˌpāt| verb [ with obj. ] regard as probable; expect or predict: she anticipated scorn on her return to the theater |
- severe |səˈvi(ə)r| adjective-(of something bad or undesirable) very great; intense: a severe shortage of technicians.
- depict |diˈpikt| verb [ with obj. ] show or represent by a drawing, painting, or other art form.
- relent |riˈlent| verb [ no obj. ] abandon or mitigate a harsh intention or cruel treatment: she was going to refuse his request, but relented.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Word -Recognition
Fine catalogs accompanying each exhibition add to an ever-expanding Kahlo library, and yet in certain ways it is the newly published “Frida Kahlo: The Gisèle Freund Photographs,” that offers the most intimate insights into her life and working process. Its 100 rare images document a friendship that the Magnum photographer conducted with the couple in the last years before Kahlo’s death; both Kahlo and Rivera shine forth from these domestic images.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
Yet, despite the many biographies there remains much to learn about this artist.
Kahlo is revealed to have been an image wizard.
Fridamania shows no signs of relenting.