Lesson Plan: Fiona the Bubbling Baby Hippo: A Happy Sight to Behold!
II. While Reading Activities
- Formica |fôrˈmīkəfərˈmīkə| noun (trademark)- a hard durable plastic laminate used for countertops, cupboard doors, and other surfaces.
- mélange |māˈlänj| (also melange) noun-a mixture; a medley: a mélange of tender vegetables and herbs.
- reality show noun-a television program in which ordinary people are continuously filmed, designed to be entertaining rather than informative: a reality show following young people who are trying to become professional athletes.
- exhausting |iɡˈzôstiNG| adjective-making one feel very tired; very tiring: a long and exhausting journey.
- commemorate |kəˈmeməˌrāt| verb [ with obj. ] recall and show respect for (someone or something) in a ceremony: a wreath-laying ceremony to commemorate the war dead.
- documented verb |ˈdäkyəˌment| [ with obj. ] record (something) in written, photographic, or other form: the photographer spent years documenting the lives of miners.
- rock star noun-• a person (or animal) treated as a celebrity, especially in inspiring fanatical admiration: she was a total rock star with paparazzi chasing her.
- conference |ˈkänf(ə)rəns| noun-a formal meeting for discussion: he gathered all the men around the table for a conference.
- invest |inˈvest| verb–devote (one’s time, effort, or energy) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result: politicians who have invested so much time in the Constitution would be crestfallen.
- adore |əˈdô(ə)r| verb [ with obj. ]love and respect (someone) deeply: he adored his mother.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Twitter fans have become obsessed with Fiona’s flatulence. She has become America’s Large Adult Daughter, its triumphant baby queen, its reigning diva with the skin texture of a wet avocado.
Scientists at the zoo milked a hippo for the first time — “we had no idea what was in hippo milk before now,” Ms. Gorsuch said — so that they could recreate the formula for Fiona’s bottles. Every day, between January and May 15, when Fiona finally was able to promenade around the hippo tank for the public, seemed to bring a new health crisis. All of this was documented on social media for the world to see.