Lesson Plan: The Rewards of Shopping for Fashion From A Dump
II. While Reading Activities
- *[to] come clean (idiom) to tell the truth about something that you have been keeping a secret. He thought it was time to come clean (with everybody) about what he had done.
- millennium |məˈlenēəm| noun (plural millennia |-ˈlenēə| or millenniums) 1 a period of a thousand years, especially when calculated from the traditional date of the birth of Christ.
- Extravagantly |ikˈstravəɡəntlē| adverb with a lack of restraint in spending money or using resources: he lived extravagantly and fell deeply into debt.
- provenance |ˈprävənəns| noun the place of origin or earliest known history of something: an orange rug of Iranian provenance.
- dump |dəmp| noun 1 a site for depositing garbage.
- fledgling |ˈflejliNG| (also fledgeling) noun • [usually as modifier] a person or organization that is immature, inexperienced, or underdeveloped: the fledgling democracies of eastern Europe.
- castoff |ˈkastäf| adjective no longer wanted; abandoned or discarded: a pile of castoff clothes.
- reinvent |ˌrēinˈvent| verb [with object] change (something) so much that it appears to be entirely new: he brought opera to the masses and reinvented the waltz.
- scrounge |skrounj| informal verb [with object] seek to obtain (something, typically food or money) at the expense or through the generosity of others or by stealth: he had managed to scrounge a free meal |
- conveyor belt |kənˈvāər ˌbelt| noun a continuous moving band of fabric, rubber, or metal used for moving objects from one place to another.
New Oxford American Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
When I began thrifting and scrounging my way to some semblance of personal style, there was still something shameful about admitting that your clothes had a past, unknowable-to-you life. I’ve spent a decade and a half covering fashion.
Reading Comprehension Fill-ins
Directions: Place students in groups and after they have read the entire article, have them complete the following sentences taken from the article. They can use the words and terms from the list provided, or provide their own terms. They are to find the meanings of any new vocabulary.
(I’m Elle’s fashion features director now), and over that time I’ve seen the industry awakening to sustainability and reuse. Luxury brands that once destroyed and even burned unsold merchandise are now thinking of ways to reinvent it.