II. While Reading Activities : Word Inference
- immigrant |ˈiməɡrənt| noun-a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
- psychopath |ˈsīkəˌpaTH| noun-a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.
- vitriolic |ˌvitrēˈälik| adjective-filled with bitter criticism or malice: vitriolic attacks on the politicians | vitriolic outbursts.
- imply |imˈplī|verb- (implies, implying, implied) [ with obj. ] strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated): the salesmen who uses jargon to imply his superior knowledge | [ with clause ] : the report implies that two million jobs might be lost.
- terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm| noun-the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
- weaponry |ˈwepənrē| noun -[ treated as sing. or pl. ] weapons regarded collectively.
- rifles rifle 1 |ˈrīfəl| noun-a gun, especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel intended to make a bullet spin and thereby have greater accuracy over a long distance.
- xenophobic |zenəˈfōbikˌzēnəˈfōbik| adjective-having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries: the xenophobic undertones of this argument.
- ingrain |ənˈɡrān| (also engrain) verb -firmly fix or establish (a habit, belief, or attitude) in a person.
- terrified |ˈterəˌfī| verb- (terrifies, terrifying, terrified) [ with obj. ]cause to feel extreme fear: the thought terrifies me | he is terrified of spiders
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
My building was close enough that it shook upon impact. I was scared for my life as my fellow students and I trekked the panicked streets of Manhattan. My family, unable to reach me on my cellphone, was terrified about my safety as they watched the towers collapse. There was absolutely no cheering. Only sadness, horror and fear.
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
I myself am not a religious person, but after these attacks, anyone that even looks like they might be Muslim understands the feelings my friend described. There is a strange feeling that you must almost prove yourself worthy of feeling sad and scared like everyone else.