Lesson Plan: E-Sports Gamers: The New Athletes?
II. While Reading Tasks
- bewitching |biˈwiCH| adjective enchant and delight (someone): they both were bewitched by the country and its culture | (as adj. bewitching) : she was certainly a bewitching woman.
- verdant |ˈvərdnt| adjective (of countryside) green with grass or other rich vegetation.
- luring |lo͝or| verb [ with obj. ] tempt (a person or an animal) to do something or to go somewhere, esp. by offering some form of reward: the child was lured into a car but managed to escape.
- visas sa |ˈvēzə| noun-an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.
- simultaneous |ˌsīməlˈtānēəs| adjective- occurring, operating, or done at the same time: a simultaneous withdrawal of all troops | simultaneous translation.
- irresistible |ˌiriˈzistəbəl| adjective- too attractive and tempting to be resisted: he found the delicious-looking cakes irresistible.
- commentator |ˈkämənˌtātər| noun-a person who delivers a live commentary on an event or performance.
- advent |ˈadˌvent| noun [ in sing. ] the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event: the advent of television.
- competitive |kəmˈpetətiv| adjective- having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others: she had a competitive streak.
- fanatical |fəˈnatikəl| adjective-obsessively concerned with something: he was fanatical about security at night.
- Weapons explode. Nasty spells are cast.
- The contestants were gunning for a big piece of the $11 million in total prize money.
- The signs of success already mirror the achievements of major sports.
- Game tournaments sell out giant arenas, and some attract at-home audiences.
- Last year, the State Department began granting visas to professional gamers.
- Confetti rocketed into the crowd when the winners were crowned.
- More than 70 million people worldwide watch e-sports over the Internet or on TVs.
- This year, the League of Legends championship is expected to attract 40,000 attendees.
- Fans roared whenever a team achieved a triple kill.
- The soundproof booths did not stand a chance against the roars from the crowd.
While Listening Activities
- F- CLG returns from 3-week boot camp in Korea.
- F- It was a super busy week in e-sports.
- T- The biggest news in e-sports this week has nothing to do with the tournament.
- F- On Monday Twitch announced it was being bought by Amazon for nine hundred seventy million dollars.
- T- The deal means that Amazon snatched the video game streaming service from under the nose of YouTube.
- F- No one knows what this sale means for the future of e-Sports now.
- T- The team TF2 always had a hard time finding sponsors.
- F- The TF2 fans donated twenty thousand dollars.
- NA- There is a new team from Spain now competing.
- T- We have to wait another year to see if North America can retain its title.