Lesson Plan: Elementary School Children Learn to Cope With Parents’ Addiction
II. While Reading Activities
- *knockout pills/drops informal–pills etc that make someone unconscious.
- shoot up– informal – |SHo͞ot|-phrasal verb– inject a narcotic drug; inject someone with a narcotic drug: she went home and shot up alone in her room | I was shooting up cocaine |
- foster care noun [mass noun]- temporary custody or guardianship for children whose parents are dead or unable to look after them: they were voluntarily placed in foster care | he was taken into foster care.
- trauma |ˈtrouməˈtrômə| noun (plural traumas or traumata |-mətə| )
- 1 a deeply distressing or disturbing experience: a personal trauma like the death of a child.
- curriculum |kəˈrikyələm| noun (plural curricula |-lə| or curriculums)
- the subjects comprising a course of study in a school or college.
- opioid |ˈōpēˌoid| Biochemistry noun an opiumlike compound that binds to one or more of the three opioid receptors of the body.
- fatal |ˈfādl| adjective causing death: a fatal accident.
- sensory |ˈsensərē| adjective-relating to sensation or the physical senses; transmitted or perceived by the senses: sensory input.
Sources: New Oxford American Dictionary
* Longman Dictionary
Grammar Focus: Word -Recognition
Riley has fallen in love with reading, and especially loves the Harry Potter books. He said he can relate to the boy wizard who had a tough childhood. “We’re similar,” he said. ‘It made me happy that Harry knows how it feels.’
- F-The elementary school is located in Ohio.
- T-Riley, is 9 years old and described how he had to care for his baby brother.
- F-According to the article Riley is in foster care.
- F-Last academic year, four kindergartners lost parents to fatal overdoses.
- T-Minford Elementary has a sensory room stocked with weighted blankets, chewable toys.
- F-In 2017 Ohio had the second highest rate of opioid overdose deaths in the country.
- T-Kendra Rase Cram is a teacher at Minford Elementary.
- F-Mike DeWine is the governor of Ohio.
- T-At the school, children can take time to jump on a trampoline or calm down in a play tunnel.
- T-As a way to help the children express their feelings, each child picks a color that symbolizes an emotion.