Lesson Plan: Boot Camp for Bloggers : Get Tough!
II. While Reading Tasks
- walloped ˈwäləp| informal-verb ( wallops, walloping , walloped ) [ with obj. ] strike or hit (someone or something) very hard: they walloped the back of his head with a stick | figurative : they were tired of getting walloped with income taxes.
- gamut |ˈgamət| noun -the complete range or scope of something: the whole gamut of human emotion.
- troll |trōl|-noun-Computing, informal a provocative e-mail or posting on the Internet intended to incite an angry response. • informal a person who sends such an e-mail or submits such a posting.
- malevolent |məˈlevələnt| adjective-having or showing a wish to do evil to others: the glint of dark, malevolent eyes | some malevolent force of nature.
- introspection |ˌintrəˈspekSHən| noun-the examination or observation of one’s own mental and emotional processes: quiet introspection can be extremely valuable.
- fixate |ˈfikˌsāt| verb [ with obj. ] (usu. be fixated on/upon) cause (someone) to acquire an obsessive attachment to someone or something: she has for some time been fixated on photography.
- glom |gläm| verb ( gloms, glomming , glommed ) [ no obj. ] (glom onto) become stuck or attached to.
- unconscious |ˌənˈkänSHəs| adjective- [ predic. ] (unconscious of) unaware of: “What is it?” he said again, unconscious of the repetition.
- Harsh |härSH| adjective-cruel or severe: harsh guttural shouts.
- effective |iˈfektiv| adjective- successful in producing a desired or intended result: effective solutions to environmental problems.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
- If you’re going to be a blogger you better develop a tough skin.
- Posts run the gamut from barbs to sadistic antics.
- Comments do not even have to be that malevolent.
- The author Anne Rice signed a petition a few months ago.
- Our attention naturally gravitates to loud noises and motion.
- These are things that stick in our brain.
- Let your critics be your gurus.
- It is not uncommon for some digital luminaries to want to be liked.
- Some people think of their online life as a kind of game.
- Be mindful of when you choose to glance at your blog.
Structure and Usage
Some people are mean and cruel to others on social network sites.
Social scientists say we tend to fixate on the negative.
It’s not always possible to learn something from a nasty comment.