Lesson Plan: Biden The 2020 Candidate for President? There’s Still Hope!
II. While Reading Activities
- constituency |kənˈstiCHo͞oənsē| noun (plural constituencies) a body of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body: the politician who wishes to remain in the good graces of his constituency.
- evangelical |ˌēvanˈjelək(ə)l| adjective-of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.• zealous in advocating something.
- toxic |ˈtäksik| adjective-1 poisonous: the dumping of toxic waste | • very bad, unpleasant, or harmful.
- guarantee |ˌɡerənˈtē| noun-provide a formal assurance or promise, especially that certain conditions shall be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction:
- prospect |ˈpräˌspekt| noun-a person regarded as likely to succeed or as a potential customer, client, etc.: clients deemed likely prospects for active party membership | a great young pitching prospect.
- enthusiasm |inˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌazəmenˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌazəm| noun-intense and eager enjoyment, interest, or approval: her energy and enthusiasm for life | few expressed enthusiasm about the current leaders.
- slogan |ˈslōɡən| noun- a motto associated with a political party or movement or other group.
- rookie |ˈro͝okē| noun informal-a new recruit, especially in the army or police: [as modifier] : a rookie cop.
- anxiety |aNGˈzīədē| noun (plural anxieties) a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome: he felt a surge of anxiety | anxieties about the moral decline of today’s politicians.
- septuagenarian |sepCHo͞oəjəˈnerēən| noun-a person who is from 70 to 79 years old.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
Another prospect is Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey…In the same class is the rookie Senator Kamala Harris of California. She’s sharp, dynamic, with the right balance of ego and intellect. But how would a California liberal play in Scranton, Pa.? A new study suggests that fear of cultural displacement was a greater driver for Trump voters than economic anxiety — identity politics for aging white males.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
That’s where Biden comes into the race.
The ideas being tossed around are risky.
It might help if candidates were not from the political class.