Lesson Plan: Barbra Streisand Cloned Her Beloved Dog Sammie for $50,000.
II. While Reading Activities: Word Inference
- clone |klōn| noun–an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
- aside |əˈsīd| noun-a remark that is not directly related to the main topic of discussion: the recipe book has little asides about the importance of home and family.
- reveal |rəˈvēl| verb –make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others: Brenda was forced to reveal Robbie’s whereabouts.
- intrigue verb |inˈtrēɡ| (intrigues, intriguing, intrigued) arouse the curiosity or interest of; fascinate: I was intrigued by your question.
- acclaimed |əˈkleɪmd| adjective-publicly praised; celebrated: the band released their critically acclaimed debut in 1994 | an acclaimed artist.
- surrogate|ˈsərəɡətˈsərəˌɡāt| noun-a substitute, especially a person deputizing for another in a specific role or office: she was regarded as the surrogate for the governor during his final illness.
- replica |ˈrepləkə| noun-an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale: a replica of the Empire State Building.
- gene |jēn| noun–(in informal use) a unit of heredity that is transferred from a parent to offspring and is held to determine some characteristic of the offspring: proteins coded directly by genes.
- miscarriage |ˈmisˌkerijmisˈkerij| noun-the expulsion of a fetus from the womb before it is able to survive independently, especially spontaneously or as the result of accident: his wife had a miscarriage |
- auction |ˈôkSH(ə)n| noun–a public sale in which goods or property are sold to the highest bidder: the books are expected to fetch a six-figure sum at tomorrow’s auction | [as modifier] : an auction sale.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
“Cats and dogs delivered by cloning have the same genes as their donor pets and will be the closest match possible to the donor, ViaGen said on its website. This is best described as identical twins born at a later date. The environment does interact with genetics to impact many traits such as personality and behavior, the company continued.”
Grammar: Identifying Articles
“You do not have to be an incredibly famous and highly acclaimed actor to have it done. By 2008, a California company had partnered with a South Korean laboratory. Researchers at the South Korean lab told the station that the dogs it had cloned have been healthy — and had almost always looked and acted like the dogs they were cloned from.”