II. While Reading Activities
- Tudor |ˈt(y)o͞odər| adjective-relating to the English royal dynasty that held the throne from the accession of Henry VII in 1485 until the death of Elizabeth I in 1603.
- retrieve |rəˈtrēv| verb [with object] get or bring (something) back; regain possession of: I was sent to retrieve the balls from his garden | Steven stooped and retrieved his hat.
- rummage |ˈrəmij| verb [no object] search unsystematically and untidily through a mass or receptacle: he rummaged in his pocket for a handkerchief | [with object] : he rummaged the drawer for his false teeth.
- shantytown |ˈSHan(t)ēˌtoun| noun a deprived area on the outskirts of a town consisting of large numbers of crude dwellings.
- favela |fəˈvelə| noun a Brazilian shack or shanty town; a slum.
- scavenger |ˈskavənjər| noun – a person who searches for and collects discarded items.
- dispatch |dəˈspaCH| (also despatch) verb [with object] send off to a destination or for a purpose: he dispatched messages back to base |
- spontaneous |spänˈtānēəs| adjective performed or occurring as a result of a sudden inner impulse or inclination and without premeditation or external stimulus: the audience broke into spontaneous applause | a spontaneous display of affection.
- primary |ˈprīˌmerēˈprīm(ə)rē| adjective-of chief importance; principal: the government’s primary aim is to see significant reductions in unemployment.
- impromptu |imˈpräm(p)ˌt(y)o͞o| adjective & adverb done without being planned, organized, or rehearsed: [as adjective] : an impromptu press conference | [as adverb] : he spoke impromptu.
Grammar Focus: Identifying Prepositions
Three blocks from Mark Zuckerberg’s home in San Francisco, Jake Orta lives in a small apartment filled with trash.
Orta is a military veteran who fell into homelessness and now lives in government subsidized housing.
Mr. Orta was born in San Antonio, Texas, one of 12 children.
He spent more than a dozen years in the Air Force, loading aircraft during the Persian Gulf war of 1991.
- F-Trash scavengers exist in many United States cities.
- T-Mark Zuckerberg lives in San Francisco.
- F-Jake Orta lives in a small, studio apartment filled with trash.
- NA- Zuckerberg has three kids.
- F-Jake Orta is A military veteran who fell into homelessness.
- T-Trash picking is a profession more often associated with shantytowns and favelas.
- T-One night, Jake found a pair of designer jeans and gray Nike running sneakers.
- F-Mr. Orta’s goal is to earn around $30 to $40 a day.
- F-Trash picking is illegal in California.
- T-Mr. Orta was born in San Antonio, Texas.