Lesson Plan: Your Next Boss Just Might Be A Machine
II. While Reading Activities
- gobble |ˈɡäbəl| verb [with object] (of a large organization or other body) incorporate or take over (a smaller one): he amassed his packaging empire by gobbling up National Can Corporation.
- speedometer |spəˈdämidər| noun-an instrument on a vehicle’s dashboard indicating its speed.
- empathetic |ˌempəˈTHedik| adjective showing an ability to -understand and share the feelings of another: she’s compassionate and empathetic towards her daughter | I have been touched by the empathetic response to my bad luck.
- tally |ˈtalē| verb (tallies, tallying, tallied) [with object] calculate the total number of: the votes were being tallied with abacuses.
- A.I. |ˌeɪ ˈaɪ| noun artificial intelligence |ˌärdəˈfiSHəl inˈteləjəns| (abbreviation AI) the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
- efficiency |əˈfiSHənsē| noun (plural efficiencies) the state or quality of being efficient: greater energy efficiency.
- algorithm |ˈalɡəˌriT͟Həm| noun-a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer: a basic algorithm for division.
- dispute |diˈspyo͞ot| noun- a disagreement, argument, or debate: a territorial dispute between the two countries | the question in dispute is altogether insignificant.
- intervene |ˌin(t)ərˈvēn| verb [no object] 1 come between so as to prevent or alter a result or course of events: he acted outside his authority when he intervened in the dispute | [with infinitive] : their forces intervened to halt the attack.
- software |ˈsôf(t)wer| noun-the programs and other operating information used by a computer.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
Cogito is one of several A.I. programs used in call centers.
It actually changes people’s behavior without them knowing about it.
Some wonder why anyone would want to be judged by a computer.
Reading Comprehension Fill-ins
The best argument for workplace A.I. may be situations in which human bias skews decision-making, such as hiring. Pymetrics, a New York start-up, has made inroads in the corporate hiring world by replacing the traditional résumé screening process with an A.I. program that uses a series of games to test for relevant skills. The algorithms are then analyzed to make sure they are not creating biased hiring outcomes, or favoring one group over another.