While Reading Activities
- ferry |ˈferē| verb (ferries, ferrying, ferried) [ with obj. ] transport from one place to another on short or regular trips: helicopters ferried 4,000 men into the desert.
- simultaneously |ˌsīməlˈtānēəslē| adverb -at the same time: the telethon was broadcast simultaneously on 31 US networks. it works simultaneously as character study, teen drama and sci-fi thriller.
- naïve |nīˈēv| adjective -(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment: the rather naive young man had been totally misled.
- fatality |fāˈtalədēfəˈ noun-an occurrence of death by accident, in war, or from disease: shooting was heard and there were fatalities.
- teleconference |ˈteləˌkänf(ə)rəns| noun-a conference with participants in different locations linked by telecommunications devices.
- vanguard |ˈvanˌɡärd| noun-a group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas: the experimental spirit of the modernist vanguard.
- colonize |ˈkäləˌnīz| verb-(of a country or its citizens) send a group of settlers to (a place) and establish political control over it.
- reiterate |rēˈidəˌrāt| verb [ reporting verb ]say something again or a number of times, typically for emphasis or clarity: she reiterated that the administration would remain steadfast in its support .
- extinction|ikˈstiNG(k)SH(ə)n| noun-the state or process of a species, family, or larger group being or becoming extinct: the extinction of the great auk| mass extinctions.
- incredible |inˈkredəb(ə)l| adjective-impossible to believe: an almost incredible tale of triumph and tragedy.
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
Musk has long said that he founded SpaceX in 2002 chiefly to help humanity colonize Mars. Becoming a multiplanet species would serve as an insurance policy, minimizing the risk of humanity’s extinction should something terrible happen on Earth.
Grammar Focus: Structure and Usage
The first journey to Mars is going to be really dangerous.
It’s worth the risk to become a multiplanetary species.
Life needs to be more than just solving problems.