Answer Key: Yoko Ono
II. While Reading Tasks
• Vocabulary-Word Inference
1. To The Light, a major exhibition of the work of celebrated artist Yoko Ono Ono…
exhibition |ˌeksəˈbiSHən|-noun- a public display of works of art or other items of interest, held in an art gallery or museum or at a trade fair: an exhibition of French sculpture
2… also presents #smilesfilm, a worldwide participatory project that will be exhibited at the Serpentine Gallery…
participatory |-pəˌtôrē|adjective- participate |pärˈtisəˌpāt|-verb [ no obj. ]- take part: thousands participated in a nationwide strike.
3. Conceived as a way of connecting people across the world, the project invites people to upload and send images of their smiles by hash-tagging #smilesfilm…
conceive |kənˈsēv|-verb [ with obj. ] form or devise (a plan or idea) in the mind: the dam project was originally conceived in 1977.
4. Working as an artist, film-maker, poet, musician, writer, performance artist and peace activist…
activist-noun-a human-rights activist: militant, zealot, protester; radical, extremist.
5. Yoko Ono has influenced generations of artists and received numerous prestigious awards.
prestigious |preˈstijəs, -ˈstē-|-adjective-inspiring respect and admiration; having high status: a prestigious academic post.
6. In her prolific career, she has embraced a wide range of media, defying traditional boundaries…
prolific |prəˈlifik|-adjective-(of an artist, author, or composer) producing many works: he was a prolific composer of operas.
7. Born in 1933 in Tokyo, she is a pioneer of conceptual art…
conceptual |kənˈsepCHo͞oəl|-adjective-of, relating to, or based on mental concepts: philosophy deals with conceptual difficulties.
8. A large scale participatory project, #smilesfilm reflects her pioneering vision of the power of mass participation.
pioneering |ˌpīəˈniriNG|-adjective-involving new ideas or methods: his pioneering work on consciousness.
9. Ono’s project at the Serpentine will tap into the transformative potential of the smile…
transformative |-mətiv|adjective-transform |transˈfôrm|-verb [ with obj. ]-make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of: lasers have transformed cardiac surgery
10. Ono associates this transmission of positive energy with healing and peace.
transmission |transˈmiSHən, tranz-|noun-the action or process of transmitting something or the state of being transmitted:
Source: New Oxford American Dictionary
• Reading Comprehension: Fill-ins
ultimate goal, a film, a smiling face, the whole world, exhibition, presents, large scale, #smilesfilm, pioneering vision, world, photo booth, physical, screen, digital form, iPhone, iPad.
• Grammar Focus: Identifying Parts of Speech
make, take, presents, reflects, collected, exhibited, presented.
IV. Listening Activity: T/F - Yoko Ono: To The Light Exhibition
- F- John Lennon described Yoko as the worlds most famous unknown artist.
- T- DJs have begun playing her music in the past 2 years.
- T- It was Yoko’s art work that first got her noticed.
- F- For one piece of art she invited people from the audience to cut away pieces of her clothing.
- T-Twenty years ago conceptual art was not common, so people were shocked by some of her work.
- T- Yoko states that her life turned out very different from what she expected.
- F- Yoko credits technology for helping her bring her art to the attention of the public.
- T- The Imagine Peace Tower is a piece of Yoko’s art.
- F- John Lennon was the first smile Yoko used in her smile art piece.
- T-People can upload their own smiles to Yoko’s current art work.