II. While reading Tasks
- sparkling |ˈspärk(ə)liNG|-adjective-shining brightly with flashes of light: her sparkling blue eyes.
- scent |sent|-noun-a distinctive smell, esp. one that is pleasant: the scent of freshly cut hay.
- chimney |ˈCHimnē|-noun ( pl. chimneys )-a vertical channel or pipe that conducts smoke and combustion gases up from a fire or furnace and typically through the roof of a building.
- astonishing |əˈstäniSHiNG|-adjective-extremely surprising or impressive; amazing: an astonishing achievement | I find it astonishing that they ever thought it could work.
- scimitar |ˈsimətər, -ˌtär|-noun-a short sword with a curved blade that broadens toward the point, used originally in Eastern countries.
- Jupiter |ˈjo͞opitər|– Roman Mythology the chief god of the Roman state religion, originally a sky god associated with thunder and lightning. His wife was Juno. Also called Jove.
- cricket|ˈkrikit|-noun-an open-air game played on a large grass field with ball, bats, and two wickets, between teams of eleven players, the object of the game being to score more runs than the opposition.
- decline |diˈklīn|-verb–[ no obj. ] the gradual setting of the sun; move downward.
- serene |səˈrēn|-adjective–calm, peaceful, and untroubled; tranquil: her eyes were closed and she looked very serene | serene certainty.
Questions for Comprehension
Directions: If the statement is true, students write (T) if the statement is false they write (F) and provide the correct answer from the article.
- In this story the traveller’s name was John. His name is not given. F
- The first person he met was a beautiful child.T
- The child said “I am always at play. T
- They heard singing-birds and saw many Deer. -F –many butteries.
- But, one day, the child was gone. T
- The next person he met was a young man.- F -A handsome boy.
- The young man was always at play. – F-always in love.
- After the young man, the traveler met a middle-aged gentleman.-T
- The middle-aged gentleman was always busy. T
- He and the middle-aged man went into business together. T
4. Some Themes: The stages of life: aging, love, childhood,